Boat chores

Well 2018 has just started but October will be here before we know it. We have a large list of boat jobs and not a lot of time. Most of the jobs are Johns and some have to wait for warmer weather. Here is our list.

• Replace hatch glass and gaskets

• Install air conditioning/heating unit

• Haul out and paint bottom

• Repair fiberglass and paint top

• Install water purifier

• Install new fridge

• Install new cook top

• Install floor

• Install LED lights and fans

• Install 2nd holding tank

• Sew new stack pack

• Sew dingy chaps

• Sew sheet bags

• Sew sun shade

• Re-cover settee

• Add A/C and 12 volt receptacles

• Anchor windless

• Add steps to aft beds, to cabin roof and cockpit

• Check thru hulls

• Buy and install grill

• Install swim ladder

• Add hand rails to the scoops

• Install inverter

• Install portable freezer

• Tighten lifelines

• Order new sails

• Replace VHF radios

• Replace running rigging

• Get and mount generator

There are many more little items but we have a LOT to do.

Adding Blinds to the salon windows

We did not like the curtains on the windows and hatches in the salon. We looked into buying the Oceanair roller shades for the two forward hatches. The cost would have been close to $500. After looking around for a different way to install shades we decide to build frames and install blinds that we found at Home Depot. Total cost was under $500 for all eight blind enclosures. The frames are built out of PVC lumber.  As we all know no surface on a boat is flat so some of the frames had to be gently bent slightly to install.  This did not effect the smooth operation of the blinds.

Replacing salon windows

Date: 11/27/17-12/1/17   Countdown to departure 11 months

Both of the stationary windows in our salon have been leaking and are cracking and need replacement. The windows are secured with screws. After some research we decided to not use screws and are going to use tape 3M™ VHB 4991 to secure the windows and then seal with DOW Corning 795 caulk.  As the window was removed I was able to see why the windows did not seal well. The screws where machine screws that went into inserts that were screwed into the fiberglass.  These inserts were the source of most of the leaks. Most of the inserts were pulling out of the fiberglass.

Both windows were removed, all screw holes filled and surface cleaned and sanded.  We used the removed windows as templates for the new ones.  Using a template router bit and high speed laminate trimmer we made two new windows.  We applied the the 3M tape around the opening, aligned the new window and pressed it into position.  The tape holds the window tight to the window frame and its curves.  The windows were then sealed using the DOW Corning sealant.

Both sides completed.